The aims of the week are to:
- Raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Make the public aware that all hydrocarbon fuel (charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas, LPG) appliances need to be serviced every year.
- Make home-owners aware that they can apply for a free gas safety check via their gas provider if they are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.
- Promote the charity's free Carbon Monoxide Android phone app and new website.
- Ensure that the public understand that a carbon monoxide alarm is never a substitute for the correct installation or servicing of any gas, oil, wood or coal burning appliance.
- Ensure that people are aware of how to fit an alarm in the correct place.
Ms Griffiths set up the charity more than eight years ago, after she and her family learnt that they had been suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade.
Poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the symptoms of exposure, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.
People can help to protect themselves by making sure they have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year, by having their chimney swept once or twice a year and by making sure they have a carbon monoxide alarm positioned in the correct place in their home.
The Carbon Monoxide Awareness website at www.co-awareness.org will go live on 18th November.