- Outlawing unjustifiable age discrimination by those providing goods and services.
- Requiring public bodies to report on inequalities in gender pay, ethnic minority employment and disability employment.
- Using public procurement to bring transparency and change from suppliers.
- Conducting enquires into particular sectors where discrimination and inequality is perceived as wide spread - including the financial services sector and the construction industry.
- Extending positive action so that employers can take under-representation of disadvantaged groups into account when selecting between two equally qualified candidates.
- Extending the permission to use women-only shortlists in selecting parliamentary candidates to 2030.
The Equalities Minister, Harriet Harman, published proposals for the new Equality Bill. The proposals put forward in the 'Framework for a Fairer Future' document include: